Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cinco I Don't Like Mayo

Mayonnaise. Yuck. Everytime I go to a cookout or some sort of get-together, I am reminded how "weird" I am that I detest mayonnaise. Eggs, oil, and whatever other oddities they cram in that stuff really doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

So that was a random tangent, I know...but the holiday name Cinco de Mayo just flashes an image of a jar of mayo in my head. Every. Single. Time. Bleh!

Anyway! So this Cinco was a little bit (a lot) more low-key than last year's. Last year, my former roommate and I threw a fab little fiesta at our apartment with friends to celebrate the end of spring semester. It was great! It is absolutely crazy to think how much has changed in a year. We have all really gone in seperate directions and I don't get to see a lot of the people I used to, with the exception of my very close friends. That's life, I guess! In terms of this year's Cinco, I would hardly even call it festive. Oopsie. :)

Except, I did have a chance to once again improve my cooking (not baking) skills and I made a recipe out of my Trim & Terrific cookbook which I hold so dear. I had never made a mexican tamale casserole before, and I gotta say...it was pretty delish. The original recipe called for ground sirloin, but I don't eat red meat a lot, so I subbed in ground turkey - no one knew the diff ;)


Round it out with a salad, and you've got a great, healthy meal! Since when do cheesy, low-fat, high-protein, mexican and healthy go together? Now, duh! So I guess you can say that is me being cool & festive for a holiday that I'm not really even qualified to celebrate. :) Ole!

That following Sunday, me, my mom, & grandmother had a quaint little girls day in Lebanon at the Prime Outlets. Love that place! Although I didn't find exactly what I had my sights set on, I did score some major bargains at Banana Republic. I got a pair of green cargo capris that were originally $49.50 for $10.79!
Imagine these...but green. Comfy spring attire!

AND (not stopping there) - a gorgeous luncheon dress for Miss TN week for $20! Hello, someone tell me that is not amazing!? (Couldn't find a pic of that steal!)

Sad thing is, now another shopping trip has to be made so I can finish up checking off my list of "things to buy" before I head to Jackson! Oh wait, that's not a sad thing. Anywho, time is ticking! :)

Can y'all believe it's the middle of May!? Only gonna get hotter here in Tennessee!

God bless! xoxo- C

No comments:

Post a Comment